Tuesday 5 June 2007

'Kinky Poly's' Emma W.I.P

Hi Andrew
Thanks for your previous update, I would like to apologise for not updating the blog recently, I have found myself at a big planning stage and looking into other areas for my project such as compositing. I have been working on the lighting which I would like to animate and simulate time-lapse lights of vehicles whizzing around the city. Through doing the tests I have discovered I can get my animation fix through this, which I mentioned in my last message. At the time of my last entry I thought I would need to introduce a creature to achieve this, but I believe these lines will reveal the environment just as well and possibly have character too. I’ve also had 2 or 3 stabs at a block test, but not yet happy with them so I will send some of these examples when they are a bit more finalised, hopefully over the next few weeks.

And I have finally started modelling, yeah! I’m discovering lofting is probably the way forward with these shapes and I’m finding it easier to keep a lot of them as separate objects. But I’ve found a lot of aspects tricky, in particular I’m getting a bit hung up on the buckling effect of geometry ie a square surface looks like it has a kink running across it, this seems to happen on a lot of actions such as merging, extruding and bevelling.
The pieces shown below are not subdivided and I am unsure if I should be doing that, which has also lead me to wonder how concerned I should be with the overall poly count of the whole enviroment.
(The shapes are influenced by Gaudi architecture)



(above) had a few attempts at getting rid of these lines running through the geometry on the triangle shape with no success yet.





Regards
Emma

No comments: