Tuesday 1 May 2007

Andrew McDonald - Intro

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd quickly add a short bio so you know I'm not some crazy bloke Saf found in a dark alley on his way home one night.

I have a background in Industrial Design, Animatronics and Prop Making. I have now been in the Digital Effects industry for 7 years. I started in 3D as a generalist, working on all sorts of kids television shows, music videos, commercials and idents. After a while I soon found my calling, it wasn't hard, it was basically a process of elimination. I was a very ordinary animator, got bored with particles and hated waiting for renders while I tweaked the hue of a bounce light. With my background, modeling to me was the most appealing and I really enjoyed it.

I have worked with Saf in Australia for a number of years at Animal Logic and have recently ventured to your windy shores to check out the London industry. I'm currently the Head of Modeling at The Moving Picture Company in Soho and am fortunate enough to be working on some great films.

Films that I have worked on to date include Matrix Revolutions, Happy Feet, Where the Wild Things Are, Harry Potter 5, and 300. Currently I'm working on 10,000BC, Fred Clause, Prince Caspian - Chronicles of Narnia, and Sweeney Todd.

I've pushed and pulled countless polygons and verts in my time and I'm still learning new tricks and pipeline procedures so hopefully I'll be able to pass these onto you. I will endeavour to give you as much feedback as possible on the work that you post. Most of the time you should be able to just post a few images, but feel free to upload a turntable or animation to youtube. Also, please feel free to email me an "obj" export of any models if you'd like me to take a closer look.

Remember that this forum is for everyone to contribute. Feel free to make comments about other peoples work and offer suggestions and constructive criticism.

But most of all, let's get some kick ass models for your demo reel!

cheers
Andrew

1 comment:

Saf said...

It's true, not only is Andrew a mean hand at modeling, he's a pretty good Tennis player as well - hopefully he won't tell you how many sets I lost to him whilst in Oz. Worst game ever.. ;0)

The Modeling geeks are really excited about you mentoring their final projetcts, it's fantastic, Thanks a lot for doing this Mr A. In the mean time let me know if I can do anything.