Friday 11 May 2007

AM - foxy polygons

Nice update Ollie.

The model is looking much better but I think it could do with a few minor tweaks before you move on. Generally I feel the body is a little thin and could do with a bit more muscle. I know it will be covered in fur, but muscle definition and thickness will really help your final result. Even an extra hours work adding volume and shape will really help your fox.

One thing to remember is never be afraid to just add in detail! I know you will have been trained to keep your topology clean and tidy, but it's not a bad thing to get a little messy some times. Nothing in nature is perfect, so why should models all have four sided polygons :)

The general rule I get my team to abide by is:

“Use 4 sided polygons most of the time, but never be afraid to use 3 or 5 sided either”

There are times when using a 3 or 5 sided poly can really help when converting to sub-d.
Try it out!

As for the UVs, they have been laid our nicely, but these are the changes I would make.

-reduce the area used for the mouth interior (not hugely important unless you're doing a closeup growl or something similar)

-increase the head area. This will allow more detail around the eyes and nose which are not hidden by fur

-increase the area used for the paws. Once again, these are not hidden by the fur

I'm keen to see how this one turns out! Keep the posts coming

No comments: