Monday 11 June 2007

AM - Phil, Quick Questions...

At what point do i create my UV's
I usually just do them at the end, when I'm happy with the model. It does however depend on your model. Sometimes I UV a low resolution version of my model before I add in the high resolution detail. This can make things a lot faster, but either way keep UVs in mind when modelling and you will be ok.

I'm told its best to create my own uv's rather then use Zbrush for texturing, would you agree with this?
Hell yeah :)
Create your own UVs. Don't rely on Zbrush UVs!

In the industry, how much is a program like Zbrush used?
Both Zbrush and Mudbox are used by all leading Studios. It's a skill that is beneficial to have up your sleeve, so learn as much about it as possible. Especially in terms of extracting displacement maps etc.

The problem is that lots of people can sculpt geo in Zbrush from a Zsphere and it looks amazing, but they usually can't do anything more with it because it hasn't been constructed with skinning in mind. The best approach to take when applying for a modeling position is to show both a low and high resolution model created with Maya/XSI etc and then show these with the displacement map you created in Zbrush.

If you really feel comfortable sculpting in Zbrush, then create a high resolution model and take it into XSI and shrink wrap a clean topology over the top. Then use the displacement map and transfer it to your clean mesh.

cheers
Andrew

No comments: