Monday 11 June 2007

AM - Ritchie Medusa

Hey Ritchie

The concept drawings are great. Make sure to include drawings like this when applying for jobs!

I'd be interested in seeing how you created the eye. It's an impressive start, but eyes are so complex and I know there is lots of simple things you can do to really push the realism. It still amazes me how much time and money goes into creating eyes at studios like MPC. But when you think about it they are the first thing you look at and can truly make or break a characters appeal.

General comments would be that your cornea seems to have a noise texture applied to the specular which is too fine. Also, I personally think it would be worth pushing the saturation of the colours, increasing the overall contrast of the texture and increasing the white point of specular.

You can see on the images below how vibrant the colours of the eye are. You'll also notice that the specular is a lot cleaner that yours. The side view might also help you come up with some improvements yourself.



For this project I was thinking of morphing the character from a beautiful medusa to an ugly one or doing something with her mouth similar to the reaper in blade! Just wondered what you think to either of these ideas? I’m in two minds at the moment in terms of what an employer would like to see!

Both these ideas sound great, but I'm concerned about the complexity. Morphing can become quite complicated and involves a lot of texture work too. I would recommend just creating a few different facial shapes eg: angry, moody, sad. These are harder than they sound, but if you get one right you will impress everyone.

Quick side story... :)

I remember when I was studying and trying to complete my final project. I came up with all these huge ideas and eventually never had time to finish them until after my course was finished. The stuff I did get done in time was good, but in hind sight I would have been much better to just do one thing well than 3 things mediocre.

Remember, that it's not how much content is on your demo reel, its the quality of the content!
I once hired a modeler who had a background in sculpture and was relatively new to 3D. All he had on his demo reel was one cg character which he showed on a turntable. He presented it in wireframe, default shaded, and then textured. The whole thing lasted less than 30sec but it was more than enough. It shows employers more than you can imagine. It's kinda sad, but you really can judge a persons skill level by the first 3 seconds of their demo reel.

Its all too common for students to put everything on their demo reels when they first go looking for a job. I even did it myself and it makes me cringe at what I showed :)

Keep it simple and do one thing exceptionally well! If you have more than this, then that is awesome but employers aren't expecting students to know everything. We just want to know that you have some raw talent, an eye for detail, and dedication.

I’m a little unsure when it come to attaching the snakes to the head! Would I be best making local subdivisions and leaving holes for the snakes to connect too? And I’m unsure about the snakes and their uvs when it comes to duplicating them and merging?

This depends on whether you will actually see the join where the snake meets the head. If you don't see it, don't commit yourself to an integrated position on the head. I'm assuming most of them will be hidden by hair, so you should only need to join the snakes at the front of the head. If you do join all of them, your head should have enough topology to handle all the extrusions and not rely of local subdivisions.

If I was building this, I would create a single snake (as you have done), UV and rig it. Then I would simply duplicate them all off, position them around the head. Once happy with their positions I would cut out holes in the female head and join to the bottom of the snake.

Let me know if my explanations are a little hard to understand. I can always draw some images to help.


I’m gonna use displacement and bump maps for the detail. Would I be best splitting the uvs of the character onto separate maps because I sometimes have trouble with the detail coming through on the displacement maps or is their a better solution?

If you can't get enough resolution then don't be afraid to created separate UV tiles. On 10,000BC we have 16 x 8K maps for one mammoth And that is just for colour!

cheers
Andrew



No comments: